Walking in Wyre Forest
We are a friendly walking group based in the Wyre Forest district of Worcestershire. New members and visitors are always welcomed at any of our walks. The walks are easy country and town walks designed to allow you to develop a regular walking habit to improve health, meet new people and become part of a social group with similar intentions.
All you need to do is to turn up with suitable clothing to match the day’s weather conditions. Each walk lasts between 60-75 minutes which is about 2-3 miles. Paths can be uneven with slopes and sometimes steps and stiles.
We are a non-smoking walking group.
Grade 1 (30 – 60 minutes)
Distance: Up to 1.5 miles
Suitable for: People who have mobility problems
or who do little physical activity.
Walks are: Flat, with hard surfaced paths and pavements. NO steep hills, steps or stiles and suitable for wheelchairs or buggies.
Grade 2 (approx. 90 minutes)
Distance: Between 2-3 miles
Suitable for: People who take part in a small amount of exercise or who wish to increase the amount they do.
Walks are: Along paths and pavements, sometimes with slopes, steps and stiles
Grade 3 * Progression Walks (2 – 3 hours) * Not Walking for Health walks
Distance: Up to 5 miles
Suitable for: People who regularly walk in the countryside or who have taken part in health walks for a prolonged period of time.
Walks are: More demanding than a health walk. Terrain at times will be uneven and steep. Stiles are likely to be encountered.
Whenever possible we try to finish our walk at a local pub or café for light refreshment!
How can you build walking into your daily routine
- Walking distances less than a mile
- Park further away from the entrance to your supermarket
- Walk to your local corner shop
- Take a walking lunch
- Walk a friend’s dog or offer to go with them
Some tips to make your walk more enjoyable
- Wear sturdy shoes with tread. Smooth soles aren’t practical for wet surfaces.
- Use layers to keep warm, they can be removed if you get too warm
- If it looks like rain, wear a raincoat or bring an umbrella
- Bring sunscreen and insect repellent – and keep arms covered if possible
- Wear a hat, especially if it’s hot.
- Bring a small bottle of water to drink during the walk
Dogs are welcome on all walks, but please keep them on a short lead and under control at all times.